Wednesday, August 01, 2007

Making my return

I've not posted much here recently, and for several reasons. Last academic year I was up for promotion and tenure at the University of Minnesota Duluth as well as exploring other job options, so I thought it best to keep a low profile during that time. The good news is that I was promoted to Associate Professor and awarded tenure, and even had a residential fellowship lined up for my year off (with big research plans that would take advantage of my break from teaching). And the even better news is that I decided to turn all this down in order to take a new position at the University of Colorado at Boulder, where I will once again be an untenured Assistant Professor. Does that mean that I intend to maintain my low online profile for another year? I don't think so. My intention was to use this space for posting some reflections on life on the political theory tenure track, so hopefully that intention will materialize into observations from my experience in going up for tenure twice (as I will go up again in Boulder in 2008). Just don't expect a report about my third time up for tenure - while the first time was less painful or odious than I had imagined, twice should be quite enough.

2 Comments:

At 10:23 PM, Blogger Case said...

It appears I've stumbled upon your page during an eventful time. I was searching for former professors (P.Sharp, E.Zeitz, B.Thayer, etc.) for no particular reason, and here you are. I don't know if you remember me, but you taught two of my undergrad courses (politics & society, senior seminar). Both happened to be near the end of my tenure at UMD, and I most likely was that blur that raced from work into your class and back to work.

Despite my hurried nature, I learned a great deal from you and the courses you delivered. You were one of my favorites, and I just wanted to say thank you (a bit tardy, perhaps).

Best of luck with your new endeavour!

Casey Humphrey

 
At 6:27 PM, Blogger Josh said...

Awaiting the return... I'm curious to know how things are going.. as well as get more philosophical insight....

 

Post a Comment

<< Home